Artist network & marketplace for Seattle & Pacific Northwest art communities.

Artist network & marketplace for Seattle & Pacific Northwest art communities.
Celebrating Over 25 Years - 1999-2024!

Value Portrait Painting Workshop-Ned Mueller-AIS, OPA Master

Deadline to Apply/Register: 05/10/2024

Ned Mueller
      Participant
      Posted By: Ned Mueller
      Participant

PortraitsThis workshop will be online. I  have a rare auto immune disease and with my advanced age most of my workshops will be online for the near future. We can cover a lot of material online and we have been filling up our classes and workshops for the last six years.

The workshop will be from my studio in Renton and the dates of the workshop is from May 17 to the 19th, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9 am to 4 pm PDT. The cost is $375. Contact me at: [email protected] for questions or information. Website: http://www.nedmueller.com

This workshop is a great interim step from portrait drawing to a full color painting  portrait. Students will get used to working with oil paint, and gain a better understanding of “painting” the structure of the head in various lighting conditions.  We will be working with a five value palette. We will premix the values with the  following “colors”: Titanium white, cadmium orange, cadmium red light, transparent brown oxide and ivory black.

The warmer dark and medium tones and the cooler light tones of our palette are more user friendly than the cold black and white palette. It takes a little practice to get the right inner-mixtures, and I will have short meeting a couple of days prior to the workshop to talk more about that and make sure students are mixing their color correctly .

The first day I will do one or two demonstrations, using and showing the important block in process and then having everyone do three or four block ins of about 45 minutes with critiques during the process to guide each student along the way.

The second day I will give at least  one demonstration  and talk about the generic  structure of the eye, nose, mouth and ear. We will also discuss backgrounds, modifying edges and changing and enhancing or dulling values to make a more comprehensive and compelling portrait.

The third day I will do a new demo or take one of the older demos and finish the portrait up. You will have about four hours  to use reference to do three or four portraits with various lighting situations. I will break in every 30 minutes or so to check on your progress along with everyone else…these short critiques of each individual throughout the workshop are really valuable to everyone else. With just a limit of 10 students, everyone gets so much more information on the important process of not just getting a great portrait , but also a work of Art. If you can, bring a good sense of humor, we will work hard and have a great time doing it!

Posted By:
      Ned MuellerNed Mueller
      Participant
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Yes No