Request for Qualifications
Edmonds Floretum Garden Club (EFGC) Art
Are you an artist? Know an artist? The Edmonds Floretum Garden Club (EFGC) is seeking proposals for an artist to create a beautiful mosaic artwork for the City of Edmonds, WA.
Edmonds Floretum Garden Club has a signed MOU with the City of Edmonds and is seeking an artist or artist team to create a mosaic artwork which contributes to a distinctive visual identity for the Club, commemorates our 100th Anniversary in August 2022, and enhances the visual appeal of downtown Edmonds, WA. The artwork may be a single element or a series of elements working in conjunction with landscaping. $10,000 budget has been approved by the EFGC Board and won approval of the membership. We have a plan to fundraise an additional amount of up $10,000, bringing the total to $20,000.
EFGC is hoping to find a local artist to fulfill this project but is accepting proposals from any interested artist. The club is specifically seeking a sculpture/planter/art piece relating to flowers, gardening, beauty, and nature. Flowers, vines, ferns, birds, bees, spiders, slugs, or whatever expresses the color, beauty, and wonder of gardens will be desirable; but other ideas will be considered.
The work must be made from durable material and be able to withstand the effects of weather. Recognition of the artist will be embedded in the mosaic or recognized with a plaque. The art piece will be donated by EFGC to the City of Edmonds after installation.
Submitted works will be evaluated based on four criteria:
· Aesthetics – Characteristics such as being compelling, original, approachable, skillful, and colorful. It is important to consider sight lines in relationship to the stop sign, the wall behind the bed, and other things such as the boulders and planting elements in the redesigned bed. It should also take into account the surrounding area and add vibrant color year-round
· Durability – The work must be able to be outdoors for many years, in an accessible, unregulated public space
· Safety –The art piece must be appropriate for an outdoor public space
· Suitability – This has two parts; one is whether the work would fit into the downtown Edmonds environment. The other is whether it would be appropriate for viewing by our general population of visitors
Who May Apply:
Professional and emerging artists, preferably experienced in public art installation. Local Washington State artists with mosaic sculpture abilities, are encouraged to apply.
Project funding is estimated to be $20,000 for designing, creating, and transporting the artwork to the installation site and installing it with the assistance of City of Edmonds employees.
The site location for the art piece is located at the intersection of 5th and Bell in downtown Edmonds. The City has agreed to remove the existing light pole.
Please prepare and submit the following information via the email addresses below.
1. A letter of interest outlining your approach to public art and summarizing your interest in this project. Describe any experience with projects of a similar scope and include anything that might help us differentiate you as a candidate. Fill out the attached application form with your name, address, phone number, and email address.
2. Professional resume/CV. Artists working collaboratively may submit a resume/CV.
3. Eight images of past works, preferably created within past five years. Each file size less than 1 MB. Include brief descriptions (1-2 sentences) for each image. Also include title, dimensions, materials, date, location, budget/cost, and commissioning entity (if applicable).
4. If a selected finalist we will request three professional references from past projects. Including name, title, and contact information.
In reviewing artist applications, we will be applying the following criteria:
· The design is appropriate for a public park.
· The artist demonstrates the ability to complete this type of work.
Application deadline October 14, 2021 by 4:00 pm.
The City and the Edmonds Floretum Garden Club reserve the right to adjust the due date and to add additional rounds of calls for proposals and/or not award commission to any submission. All submitted applications will become the property of the City and will not be returned to the artist.
Application Review Process:
Award recommendations will be reviewed by a jury of up to 8 people total and may include city staff, Edmonds Floretum Garden Club 100th Anniversary Steering Committee members, Edmonds Arts Commissioners, and local residents. Applications are reviewed on a competitive basis according to the overall purpose of the program and the selection criteria.
· September 21, 2021: Call for artists
· October 14, 2021, by 4:00 pm: Proposals due & received
· October 21, 2021: Selected finalists will be asked to make a presentation and will receive a $200 honorarium
· November 7, 2021: Contract signing. Schedule to be negotiated with the artist and included in contract
· Bimonthly: Project status reports after contract signed
· July, 2022: Installation and completion
Bulk of payment will be made at the end of the project with 25% in advance for artist supplies. Checks will be mailed within 30 days of receiving the invoice.
Questions about public art installation in Edmonds, WA:
Edmonds Floretum Garden Club
9222 216th St SW
Edmonds, WA 98020
Tagged: #Mosaic; #Public art
SeattleArtists.com was launched in 1999, over 21 years ago! Our mission was and still remains to provide an artists network and marketplace for independent artists in the Pacific Northwest & Seattle art communities. We provide member artists with a free directory listing as well as an online gallery for premier members. Discover some of the best hidden talent in the local Seattle art community!